Flower wants England coach role

Former Zimbabwe batsman Flower was brought on board by former boss Peter Moores, although he fears that could work against him.

"Peter Moores is a good friend of mine and I really enjoyed working with him," said the 40-year-old Flower.

"If I'm too closely associated to him, that is for someone else to decide. But I believe I can gel a unit together."

Moores was sacked last month following a public rift with Kevin Pietersen, who resigned as captain.

The role of head coach was officially advertised on Friday by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

Kent coach Graham Ford, Australians Tom Moody and Dav Whatmore, former India coach Greg Chappell and Warwickshire director of cricket and national selector Ashley Giles have been linked with the post.

606: DEBATE

But Flower could help his credentials depending on the rest of England's tour in the West Indies.

The side currently trail their hosts 1-0 in the Test series with two matches to go before a Twenty20 match and five one-day internationals.

"I have really enjoyed doing the job so far," added Flower.

"I am sure there are many experienced, fine coaches out there but I can bring my experience as a Test cricketer, and the fact I've been involved with these guys for almost two years."

No comments:

Post a Comment